|Image courtesy Lancaster City Council|
Isaac Hargreaves, age 6 from Morecambe, was riding his bicycle along the quiet cul de sac where he lives when he cycled into an extendable dog lead and fell backwards off his bike.
Isaac sustained deep rope type burns to his neck and shoulder and bruises to his back.
"I've always regarded our small quiet cul de sac to be a safe place for children to play," says Isaac's father Darren. "Isaac loves to ride circuits of the road with his brother, which is why I thought it was unusual to hear him crying that day.
"I ran out to find him walking towards me from where the incident had occurred, just metres from my house, with terrible burn marks on his chest and neck.
"Isaac had cycled round a bend in the road and straight into an extendable dog lead. The owner of the dog was on one side of the road and the dog was on the other when the accident happened. The lead appeared to have caught Isaac's shoulder and moved up to his neck as he fell backwards.
"If he hadn’t been wearing his helmet which had cracked on impact, his injuries could have been far worse," Darren added. "Thankfully, Isaac has fully recovered but as a parent, it saddens me to think my beautiful little boy will have to bear the physical scars for the rest of his life."
“This isn't the first time we have witnessed rope type burns as a result of someone using this type of lead," commented Lancaster City Council Dog Warden Alison McGowan. "and as a service, we would never recommend people use them on the highway when dogs need to be kept under close control."