|Singing sensations 'The Soil' in concert next Thursday|
Twenty years of democracy in South Africa will be celebrated when Afrovibes, a biennial festival of theatre, music, dance and film, takes over The Dukes next week from 3 - 9 November.
The Dukes Café Bar will become a Township Café during the festival, serving African food and drinks and hosting free events and activities.
The festival kicks off in the Township Café on November 3 with a free taster performance from top South African vocalists, The Soil, and The Dukes very own Township Café Choir. This family friendly event starts at 7.30pm.
The Soil will be singing a full-length concert on November 4 combining a mix of musical styles from township jazz and hip-hop to afro-pop and afro-soul. The awardwinning, platinum-selling trio come to Afrovibes 2014 direct from the Apollo Theatre in Harlem. Tickets are priced £10 / £8 concessions and you can book online (+ £1 per transaction fee).
The life, death and legacy of inspirational anti-apartheid campaigner, Steve Biko, is the focus of Biko’s Quest which will be staged on November 5 & 6. This powerful large cast production takes the audience on a poignant and emotional journey through danced storytelling.
Age guidance is 10+ and tickets are priced £10 / £8 concessions (a £1 per transaction fee applies when booking online). There is a free post show talkback from 9pm.
A special screening of Khumba takes place on November 9 as part of the festival. This South African animation is about a half-striped zebra who embarks on a daring quest to earn his stripes. Tickets are £3.
Among the many free Afrovibes events taking place at The Dukes are:
- Monday 3 November: Launch Party with The Soil and the Township Café Choir from 7.30pm
- Tuesday 4 November: Pop Up South Africa where, using green screen technology, you can be transported instantly to your choice of South African location from 6 - 6.45pm
- Tuesday 4 November: The Township Café Choir performs from 6.45 - 7.15pm and the Afrobeats DJ takes over from 8.30pm.
- Thursday 6 November: Another chance to enjoy the Township Café Choir from 6.45 - 7.15pm
- Friday 7 November: The festival closes with a party with a distinctly South African flavour from 9pm.
For more information on all Afrovibes events and to book, ring The Dukes box office on 01524 598500 or visit www.dukes-lancaster.org.