Wednesday, 27 May 2015
Lancaster Comics Day Launch Event on Saturday
A small event to launch Lancaster Comics Day will take place at First Age Comics, Lancaster on Saturday 30th May 2015 from 11.00am.
Lancaster Comics Day, taking place Sunday 14th June 2015 in Lancaster Library, is a new event aimed at comic fans of all ages for the city which has no shortage of comic creators, organised by the Friends of Lancaster Library in partnership with the Lakes International Comic Art Festival. Tckets are available now from Lancaster Library and First Age Comics.
The event features local comic creators Andy Diggle, whose credits include 2000AD, Doctor Who, Captain America and Green Arrow (his work on the latter character the basis for the hit TV show) Doctor Who and 2000AD writer Eddie Robson; and veteran comics editor and writer John Freeman, former Doctor Who Magazine editor and currently editor for the digital audio comics publisher ROK Comics.
Also at the event will be 2000AD and Doctor Who comic artists John Ridgway and Dave Taylor; and formal Marvel editor, author and producer Tim Quinn.
Centred on Lancaster Library events include a panel on Doctor Who comics, the official launch of the Lost in Space digital anthology featuring the winners of a competition organised by LICAF in partnership with Titan Comics, a Breaking Into Comics panel, competitions for all ages, cosplay – and Comic Cake!
Local authors and other comic creators will also be at Lancaster Comics Day, including Lancaster Guardian cartoonist Jack Knight, comics colourist Harry Saxonand authors AS Chambers, Adam Millard, Sophie Sparham, along with cartoonists Joe Matthews and Dave Windett.
The Friends of Lancaster Library are currently running a Children's Comics Competition as part of the project's events.
The event has been sponsored by First Age Comics in Moor Lane and brought to Lancaster with the support of Lakes International Comic Art Festival, which takes place in October this year and whose guests include Simpsons Comics artist Bill Morrison, Superman artist Darwyn Cooke and over 40 international guests in addition to British comic creators and publishers.
• Lancaster Comics Day, Sunday 14th June 2015, 11.00am - 6.00pm Lancaster Library, Market Square, Lancaster. Tickets (on sale now from Lancaster Library and First Age Comics) are £5, £2 concessions (unwaged, students), kids under 13 go free if accompanied by an adult. Ticket includes admission to two panels, one on Doctor Who comics and the other on "Breaking Into Comics", subject to space (first come, first served)
• Visit the Lancaster Comics Day Facebook Page for the latest news about the event
• The Facebook event page is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1433383200287242
• Follow Lancaster Comics Day on Twitter @LancasterComics
• Friends of Lancaster Library Facebook Page