The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government Greg Clark MP has announced measures to ensure that all who have been affected by flooding are supported in the recovery process.
In a letter to Morecambe and Lunesdale MP David Morris, Greg Clark laid out the following measures to support those who had been recently damaged by flooding, which Mr Morris has noted on his official web site:
• Belwin Emergency Scheme: This scheme reimburses local authorities for costs incurred on, or in connection with their immediate actions to safeguard life and property or to prevent severe suffering or inconvenience as a result of a disaster or emergency in the area.
• Government Community and Business Recovery Scheme:
• Provide Local Authorities with over £500 for each household affected by flooding; for example to help with temporary accommodation.
• Provide grants of up to £5,000 for householders to protect their home from future flooding e.g. to replace flood barriers, move electricity sockets higher up, replace doors and windows with a water resistant alternative etc.
• Ensure that flood effected businesses who have their trading disrupted can get back on their feet, with funding equivalent to £2,500 provided to Local Authorities, with funding also to help farmers restore their land.
• Council Tax and Business rates relief to those who are effected.
"I am pleased that the Government have committed to helping everyone in my constituency who has been effected by flooding," said David Morris MP, speaking after the announcement.
"Although most of this funding is passed through the local authority and administered by them, please contact my office if you have been effected and you are unsure of how to apply for the schemes which have been announced to help."
• Contact Mr Morris via his web site at http://www.davidmorris.org.uk