|Lizzi Collinge, local Labour Party members and some of her election team. Photo via Facebook|
A new county councillor has been announced for Lancaster East, following the by-election held on Thursday 5 May.
Lizzi Collinge (Labour) was elected with a majority of 350, with only the Green Party giving her any serious opposition in the poll. which followed the death of Richard Newman-Thompson (Labour) on Monday 22nd February.
The election results are:
• Lizzi Collinge, Labour Party, 1,758 votes (elected)
• Tim Hamilton-Cox, Green Party, 1,408 votes
• Robin Eamonn Long, Liberal Democrats, 231 votes
• Steve Metcalfe, Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition, 60 votes
Eligible voters: 9,559. Number of Ballots: 3,457. Number of spoilt Ballots: 49.
This by-election result does not affect the political composition of the county council:
• Labour: 39 seats
• Conservative: 35 seats
• Liberal Democrat: 6 seats
• Independents: 3 seats
• Green Party: 1 seat
A total of 84 seats